Service and Fee Schedule
The Archives Reading Room is open to the scholarly public. There is no fee for scheduling a research appointment or viewing records during an appointment.
The Archives' services include photocopying and electronic reproduction of images and text. Permission for publication is available for one-time, non-exclusive use.
All services require pre-payment by credit card.
When publication is intended, an application for publication rights for any material quoted or reproduced from the PAFA Archives must be submitted to the Archivist in writing.
Researchers wanting copies of documents for research purposes may request paper or digital copies to be made by the Museum Archives’ staff, or use their own digital device (camera, smartphone, tablet, etc.) to photograph documents provided no flash is used. Researchers who wish to use their own devices must first receive permission from a staff member. The Museum Archives reserves the right to refuse reproduction requests which may threaten the preservation of the documents.
- Photocopies for research - $0.50 per page
- High resolution scans
- 600 DPI at 100% - $25.00 per image
Requests for Permission to Publish
Requests for permission to publish are to be submitted to the Archives by mail or email. The applicant must specify the title of the piece, publisher, intended print run and publication date. The fees and permission are granted for one-time, non-exclusive use. Additional printings such as electronic formats, international editions or book clubs, require further permissions and fees. The permission to publish is not effective until the applicant receives, signs, and returns the permission contract.
- Commercial Publication - $100 per item
- Non-profit publication - $25 per item
Remote Research Request is defined as research utilizing archival collections facilitated by Museum staff via mail, email, or telephone at the request of an outside party.
A flat fee of $20.00 is charged for any research requests requiring more than 15 minutes and under 1 hour to complete. Fee includes up to 10 black and white photocopies of archival materials for study purposes only. Additional photocopies are $0.50 per page. Supplying a photocopy is not an authorization to publish. All research requests requiring more than an hour are subject to an additional $15.00 per hour charge. All terms and fees are subject to change at any time.
- Research services are limited to records in the archival collections of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts.
- Monetary or time restrictions may be placed on a project by either the Museum or the requestor.
- In addition to the time spent searching, you will be charged for time required for retrieving and returning items as well as time spent preparing the response.
- You will be billed for search time even if the information or image requested is not found.
- Remote Research Request fees do not grant the requester reproduction rights. Any digital photos, scans, or printouts of collection materials are provided under the provisions of “fair use” as described by United States copyright law, and are intended for scholarly or private use only. Reproduction, public display, or distribution of an image from the Museum's collection from any copy format (digital or print) via any medium requires the permission of the Museum and may carry with it additional fees.
For further information about fees and ordering high resolution images, please contact the archivist.
The Copyright law of the United States (U.S. Code, Title 17) governs the making of photocopies and reproductions of copyrighted material. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission for use of any material where copyrights, literary property rights, or other forms of ownership of intellectual property may apply, in conformance with the provisions of the United States Copyright law. PHOTOCOPIES ARE PROVIDED FOR SCHOLARSHIP AND RESEARCH PURPOSES ONLY AND MAY NOT BE FURTHER REPRODUCED.
Supplying a photocopy is not an authorization to publish. When publication is intended, an application for publication rights for any material quoted or reproduced from the Museum Archives must be submitted to the Archivist in writing.